Saturday, July 5, 2008

Resounding Gong Show

I have been learning so much lately about love. Isn't it awesome how the Lord teaches us? I started reading through 1 John not too long ago and one of the words that comes up again and again is, you guessed it, love. One of the books I am reading is "Moody on spiritual leadership" by Steve Miller. Can you guess what Miller says about the life of Moody? He says that Moody was known for his loving character. Everyone that knew Moody said the same thing about him. He was known as a very loving man! It's so important for us as Christians to love properly, to place our love in our Savior, to love others even our enemies. Just like Christ loved Judas! It is so easy sometimes to love this world, to love our money or our possessions. 1 john chapter 2:15-17 talks about love and where it should be placed , 15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. 1John 3:16-24 goes on to talk a little more about love. 16This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. 17If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 19This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence 20whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him. 23And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us. The blessings of loving correctly are eternal. The curse of loving incorrectly are eternal too. I struggle so much with loving my neighbor. Would I die for them? I like to think so. Would I tell them about Christ? I need to. If I don't then I don't love them. If I don't I love me more. My flesh is so weak. Help me father to be more loving!

No comments: