Friday, June 13, 2008

Cross training

As you may or may not know I am the youth director at my church. Our youth program is called Cross Training. We have discontinued the regular meetings of Cross Training for the summer and I am trying to think of a topic to study for the next year. At this time I am somewhere in between apologetics and creationism. Two great topics that deserve studying! I am leaning towards creationism. One of the resources I am looking into to put together a syllabus is http://www.drdino.com/. Dr. Hovind is very entertaining! More importantly I believe at this point he is also very biblical. I have come to realize that our youth desire to be entertained. So at this point I do need to entertain these kids, but I also need to share the truth of God's word with them. That comes into my thought process as I try to determine what to study at Cross Training. How do I keep these kids interested in eternity when everything they are interested is just a click away? I have a friend who is a youth leader in a church where the kids seem to be more interested in what Gods word has to say then they are at my church. I think that this interest goes back to the parents of these kids. These parents are at church whenever the doors are open. These parents love Jesus with all of their hearts. These parents live their faith! I really think that this is where my problem begins. With the parents. If we as parents show our children that we love the Lord Jesus Christ it will rub off on them! If we live our lives as Christ lived His life our children will see it and respond. It is a lot of work to entertain these kids! I just hope and pray that the entertainment will have eternal value. I pray that the time I spend with these young people will have some positive Christlike impact on them, that they will see that Christ is alive in me, and that they will want what Christ has to offer!

No comments: