Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Romans

Ty and are are reading through the book of Romans. Each night before bed we will take a section section, read it, and then discuss it. We started on this journey together last night. I was challenged at the Men's Conference to memorize certain books in Romans in an effort to try to live more fully with the gospel in front of my face. Thus, I wanted to similarly challenge my son. Romans 1:16 really stood out to me because it is a verse that Milton Vincent spoke about during one of the conference sessions. It says "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." What a great verse! Vincent went on to talk about the universe and the sun and comets and how God's power that is so evident in all of his creation. All of these things took unimaginable power to create and awesome power to maintain yet these are not the power God. The power of God is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:18 also talks about the power of God, it says "For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." It is amazing to think that we as Christians have access to the power of God through the Gospel! This gives new meaning to Phillipians 4:13! It says "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Let me paraphrase, I can do all things through Him who strengthens me through the power of the gospel! Exciting stuff. Let's get out there!

No comments: