Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Biblical

I have a friend who likes to share his biblical opinion on some topics that can be very controversial. This friend is well educated and would probably consider himself something of an intellectual. His arguments are touching and sometimes very persuasive. However, most of his opinions I very much disagree with. I have yet to see any scripture to back up this "biblical opinion", in most cases because I don't think there is any. I think I have somewhat of a grasp on the major doctrines of scripture and I am enjoying digging deeper into God's word and learning about the not so major doctrines. If I do state my opinion, especially if it's an opinion on something scripture has to say, such as creation or marriage, I want to do my best to understand what God is saying in that scripture. I truly believe that God's word is sufficient for all things through our knowledge of Him. (2 Peter 1:3). We have no need to look to the Discovery Channel or the Science Channel, we have God's eternal word (Isa 40:8), which is written by God (2 Tim 3:16) Why would we look to man for his wisdom? God's word says repeatedly that the heart of man is wicked or evil (Matt 15:8, Rom 3:11 to name a few) I guess that my point is that if you are a Christian and you want to give your biblical opinion on issues that scripture talks about, use the scripture. It carries much more weight then "I think" or "I believe" or even "I saw it on the Internet so it has to be true". I guess there is a second point too. Christian please don't believe everything you hear or read from other Christians. Open up that bible of yours and test it! I apologize for this tirade. Thanks for listening, or reading, which is a type of listening. Blessings!

No comments: