Thursday, October 2, 2008

A lesson from History

All this talk about easy believeism made me think this morning about "back then". Back in Lathers day. Back in the day when the faithful Luther nailed the 95 thesis to the door at Castle Church in 1517. Now you will have to remember here that I am no historian. I do enjoy church history but at this point I only know (or think I know) bits and pieces. So if this is incorrect let me know! I believe that back in those days folks could "buy" salvation for themselves, their loved ones, even for people already deceased, all they had to do was give money to the Roman Catholic Church. Once salvation was "paid for" not by the blood of Christ but with money you could go on living however you pleased! Does that sound familiar? The only difference is that today it is offered as a free gift! Walk the isle, sign on the line, say the prayer, kneel at the alter. There is no need to change the way you live. Just believe. You can continue as you are, no need to be a holy roller. Scripture says that there will be many on that day who say, "Lord, Lord did we not do all of these things in your name! "Depart from me for I never new you!" Those are words I never want to hear from my God! I want to be sure that He says to me "Well done my good and faithful servant!"

No comments: