Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mark Dever

Mark Dever, head pastor of Capital Hill Baptist Church and author of several books was one of the speakers at the Desiring God Pastors Conference last week. It was a privilege to sit under the teachings of this man who God has gifted as an evangelist and teacher. He is fearless when it comes to sharing his faith with others. A true encouragement to those aspire to be soul winners. I picked up a few of his books while at the conference and I want to share with you a thought from "Twelve Challenges Churches Face". It is a walk through of his study and sermons on 1 Corinthians. In this book Dever calls evangelicals to love the church as much as they love Jesus. That is quite a bold statement. I want to know what you all think of it. Are we to love the bride of Christ as much as we love Christ himself? I have to wrestle through this and I want you to wrestle with this with me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to think further, but I can tell you at first glance that this is echoing in my own reading and listening lately...there is no vertical if there is no horizontal...If we say we love God but don't love our brothers - 1 John...Fellowship...reading from 'The Calvary Road'(Hession) - it's echoed there as well, especially in the context of a crucified 'self'. Does Christ love himself as much...more... or less than His church? hmmmm.

Rob Peck said...

Thanks for the food Tim! It is a pleasure to grow in the Lord with you!