Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lessons from a 12 year old

"Kinda"- I believe this "word'' is short for "kind of"'. Often heard leaving my son's lips after a question is asked of him that requires answer of some sort. The hoped for answer is either "good", ''bad'', ''yes'', ''no'', or something that is actually a proper response. I will give you some examples-

Me: ''Did you have a good day today son?''
Tyler: ''Kinda..."


Or-

Me: ''Did you sleep well my son?''
Tyler: ''Kinda...''

Or my favorite-

Dad: "Did you do good on your math test today son?"
Tyler: ''Kinda...''

That word drives me nuts. I think he says it now just to get me going. He says it with the kind of smirk on his face that says, ''I'm just doing this to get you going Dad.'' The more I understand his meaning of this particular ''word'' the more I realize that it tends to have a negative slant, more of a ''Not really'' feel to it.

Ahhhhh the pre-teen.

My past is scarred with ''kinda'' Christian behavior. Yeah, I'm a Christian but that won't stop me from drinking booze till I can't stand, or yeah, I'm a Christian but it's OK for me to watch this movie, or maybe, yeah, I'm a Christian but I love her so we don't have to be married, yeah, I'm a Christian but ...excuses, excuses, excuses. How many people have I hurt or mislead or angered because of this kind of behavior? I'm convinced that there is no such thing as a ''kinda'' Christian. The "kinda'' Christian cares much more for himself then for Jesus and others. The genuine Christian is a servant who strives by Gods grace to put sin to death. The ''kinda'' Christian glory's in his sin, the true child of God has power over sin through the power of the Gospel. A ''kinda'' Christian has his fist in the air screaming "ME ME ME ME! the true Christian has his head humbly bowed before the cross crying out, ''Jesus Jesus Jesus...take this wretched life and make it yours.



1 Cor 10:31 says, ''So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.''

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"whatever" (in cahoots with 'kinda')had a short-lived life span in our home last year...I knew as soon as I heard it, sin was looking for a place to root. By God's grace, I no longer hear that word from any of my kids; that is the saving redeeming work of God in His goodness to his children.
This morning I was rejoicing in fellowship with a young man as we considered the last chapter in Tozer's book 'The Pursuit of God' -he highlights the verse you've done well to bring to our thoughts...I Cor 10:31, Thanks brother!

THEOparadox said...

Rob,

This is a powerful and provoking article. Thanks for writing it. This could possibly make a very good sermon introduction, by the way.

In my house, the little ones are taught to respond to commands with a clear "Yes Daddy" and then to obey - right away, all the way, the happy way. One of my kids' favorite wrong responses is a simple "Oh." So far they haven't learned to dodge questions ... may God help us to be vigilant in these things for their sake, and aware of the wrong responses and dodges lurking in our own hearts.

Grace & peace,
Derek

Tracy said...

Ah, Tyler. I can just see the smirk on his face. Tell him I love him and will miss him this week.