Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thoughts from the plow truck




Well, as you may or may not know we have had close to 130 inches of snow here in the Adirondacks. You may or may not appreciate all of that snow. Most people I know who move snow for a living are about sick of it! The folks who play in the snow love it. I tend to find myself in the the first group of people. I often find myself thinking that I'm going to cry if we get anymore snow! This winter will be written off as an "old time winter" with the oodles of snow and the ear numbing cold! Ahhhhh, global warming. We saw temps in the negative 30's and I'm looking at a snowbank right now that is about 15' high. God's word has something to say about mans wisdom... "For the wisdom of this world is folly with God." (I Cor 3:19a). I think God is in control. We don't have to worry about global warming.

It is because of all this snow that I have been stuck in a plow truck for hours and hours. It does sometimes get old so I decided to break out the ipod and put that time to good use. It has been a tremendous blessing! I have been getting paid to listen to a theology class, sit under the teachings of Piper, Mahaney, Macarthur, Packer, Linne, and some others too! How cool is that! This morning I was listening to Packer teach about faith, a message he taught back in '88 at a pastors conference. Well, I was about half way through this message and there was a pause and then I was told to flip the tape over to hear the rest of the message! I laughed out loud! Here I sit in '09 listening to my ipod and being told to flip the tape over! Does anybody have a tape player anymore? Well, this got me thinking about how God's word is timeless. I am so thankful for that! God does not change (Malachi 3:6). He has a plan for you, he has a plan for me. How beautiful is that! We are loved by a God that cares enough for us to have a plan for us! "For I know the plans I have for you..." Jeremiah 29:11.

It is so easy to run to the book store and pick up the latest "Christian " book for something to read. I want to challenge you to remember that God does not change. Pick up some of the old stuff. Read some Edwards or Luther, find some Bunyan or Spurgeon. It is often argued that we have access to so much information now that we should be ahead of the curve when it comes to theology. That may be true, but the only thing some of these men had was their bibles and you know what? They knew their bibles. If they knew anything it was their bibles! Some of these guys spent as much as 13 hours a day studying their bibles and praying!!! They were not sidetracked by this or that while they were online researching. We have the writings of these man and many many more! Take the time to get to know them a little. Their God was the same then as He is today.

1 comment:

THEOparadox said...

Rob,

For 5 years I was a "snow plow guy" working for the owner of several high end commercial properties. At that time I lived in Kentucky. Kentucky gets more snow than most people think, and a good deal of ice that has to be salted. Anyhow, I often spent my plowing time listening to good sermons. It's amazing how clear you can think in the cab of a truck, surrounded by snow.