Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A life worth living

I have been slowly reading through "The Life and Diary of David Brainerd", it has truly been a blessing. It is amazing the love this man had both for his God and for the lost. I read today a brief quote that I want to share with you.

One day I remember, in particular, (I think it was in June, 1740) I walked to a considerable distance from the college, in the fields alone at noon, and in prayer found such unspeakable sweetness and delight in God, that I thought, if I must continue still in this evil world I wanted always to be there, to behold God's glory. My soul dearly loved all mankind, and longed exceedingly that they should enjoy what I enjoyed. It seemed to be a little resemblance of heaven.

I often lack this love that Brainerd felt for mankind. It is easy to look at others and feel anger. Repulsion. It is so inspiring for me to read these courageous words from a dear brother who lived so long ago. A man that knew what it was to love. A man willing to truly give his life to the Lord. It is beautiful. It is lovely. It is God.

No comments: