Saturday, May 2, 2009

Packers Punches

I would say that the one book that made me rethink what it means to be a Christian is Johny Mac's ''The Gospel According Jesus''. A friend of mine gave me this book and we spent quite a bit of time talking about the different Gospel truths contained in it. Some of these truths were refreshing and others were downright uncomfortable. All were necessary. This same friend just gave me a copy of Packers ''Knowing God''. It is becoming apparent that the same can be said about this book. I have read and reread the first chapter in the last couple of days and it has proven to be both convicting and convincing. Why is it that we study theology? Why is it that we want to know the Word of God?

Packer says:
What is my ultimate aim and object in occupying my mind with these things? What do I intend to do with my knowledge about God, once I have it? For the fact we have to face is this: If we pursue theological knowledge for its own sake, it is bound to go bad on us. It will make us proud and conceited. The very greatness of the subject matter will intoxicate us, and we shall come to think of ourselves as a cut above Christians because of our interest in it and grasp of it; and we shall look down on those whose theological ideas seem to us crude and inadequate and dismiss them as very poor specimens.

I know that I can sometimes find myself falling into this. Packer goes on to say:

To be preoccupied with getting theological knowledge as an end in itself, to approach Bible study with no higher a motive then a desire to know all the answers, is the direct route to a state of a self-satisfied self deception. We need to guard our hearts against such attitude, and pray to be kept from it.

This resonates very true for me! Very convicting. This is something that I struggle with frequently. This is something I pray about for deliverance. I don't want to know Gods word to puff me up. I want to know Gods word to know God. Packer continues:

Our aim in studying the Godhead must be to know God himself better. Our concern must be to enlarge our acquaintance, not simply with the doctrine of God's attributes, but with the living God whose attributes they are. As he is the subject of our study, and our helper in it, so he must himself be the end of it. We must seek, in studying God, to be led to God. It was for this purpose that revelation was given, and it is to this use we must put it.

God is so good. Father help me to study your word with the right motives. Help me to know you better for the sake of knowing you.

No comments: