Monday, May 18, 2009

He started it (take two)

I am a graduate of the Word Of Life Bible Institute (BI). Most folks who read this blog are probably aware of this. In order to complete the training at the BI I worked at Camp of the Woods, a Christian Camp in Speculator NY, with their Teen Program. Part of that ministry was memorizing Phillipians 1 and 2. I was much better at memorizing then and (to God be the glory) a little better at understanding now! I just came across a couple of verses from Phillipians 1 that I would like to share with you, verses 3-6 follow.

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

The end or this section of scripture says ''he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion''. He began the good work in me and He will complete it! All God, no me. He started it, He called me, He chose me. He will complete it. This is not to say that I do not have some responsibility for the decisions that I make here on earth as a Christian. My point is that I am totally deprived, unable to seek God without his calling and that I am eternally secure (perseverance of the saints) God started it he will complete it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what? no self-determination? no 'I act...God responds'? hmmmm

So... Rob, what you're saying (or Paul to the Philippians)is that Jesus Christ is the Author (He began the good work) and Finisher (He will complete the good work at the day of Jesus Christ) of our faith?

I enjoyed this blog post from Spurgeon via the gang at teampyro ;)

http://teampyro.blogspot.com/2009/02/divine-sovereignty-and-human.html

Rob Peck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob Peck said...

Hey Tim,
I do believe once saved we do have free will, we do make deciisions. Is that what you mean by self-determination? Sorry I was not clear on that point. Is that what you ment with your comment?

Anonymous said...

Yes brother... I agree. Once God saves us, I believe we are free and empowered by the life of Christ in us to walk according to the Spirit as opposed to our former state of being enslaved to the power and mastery of sin... children of wrath.

What I intend by self-determination (and would argue against) is that somehow I decide to believe and God responds to my will/act of belief.

I believe, rather, that God saves me and I believe... and so walk ever dependent upon Him in the grace and mercy provided by His electing will.