Monday, January 4, 2010

To God be the Glory

Believe it or not I have a new years resolution that I actually plan on and by God's grace will finish. I am resolved to read through the bible this year in chronological order. I have my friend Mike to thank for his blog post that got me started on this journey. You can read about it over at his blog http://mikeruel.wordpress.com/.

Yesterday at church we had a couple of very reformed messages brought to us out of Romans and Ephesians (and many other scriptures too). I came out of both messages blessed, challenged, and changed. I praise God for my church! Last nights service Kieth spoke on God's glory in regards those He chooses to save. God saves us not because of something we have done or some goodness that is in us. God saves us for His glory. God does all things for his glory.

Now to tie the two together! I got home last night thinking about God's glory and read this morning Job 1-5. Why was it that God allowed such terrible things to happen to Job? For his glory! Why is it that Jobs family was killed? Why is it that Job's possessions were taken from him? Why is it that Job suffered with sores all over his body? For God's glory!

God does allow hardship in our lives. He allows sickness, separation, trial, tribulation, and death. Why? For his glory. He also causes many wonderful things, they are also for his glory.

PS 57:5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
Let your glory be over all the earth!
PS 72:19 Blessed be his glorious name forever;
may the whole earth be filled with his glory!
Amen and Amen!
Isa. 6:3 And one called to another and said:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;

the whole earth is full of his glory!”
Isa 42:8 I am the Lord; that is my name;
my glory I give to no other,
nor my praise to carved idols.
Isa 43:7 everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.”
Isa 48:11For my own sake, for my own sake,
I do it,for how should my name be profaned?
My glory I will not give to another.

3 comments:

The Blainemonster said...

Rob - That's fantastic! Our whole church is going to read the Scriptures through together this year chronologically. I preached yesterday on the Word itself - its power, authority, perfection - AND the glory we'll bring to God when we learn, grow and mature together as a body. So it was really cool to read your post today :)

Rob Peck said...

Blane, I will be praying for you and your church as you move forward in this!

TimW said...

I love these scriptures Rob... thanks for writing them out to read and believe and be sanctified.
(Mike has been leading GPBC to embrace this chronological read through the Bible and pastor also brought it into his sermon and encouraged the body to join together in this pursuit. Very cool!