Thursday, January 21, 2010

Adolesent Angst to Adult Adoration

My son has hit the teen years in overdrive. It seems that we have gone from an easy going adolescent to something altogether different overnight. We now have attitude, angst, anger, and more attitude. Inside all of this is the very real issue of sin. We have had many conversations as of late that deal with some sin issues that concern me greatly. As a Christian father I try to point Ty more and more to the Cross. I try to help him see his sin as God sees it. Through this difficult time the Holy Spirit has been working on me as well. I think it's safe to say that I am learning more about myself and my shortcomings (sin) through this time then my son is. I have been seeking counsel and wisdom from the godly men and women in my life. These people are proving to me again and again what a great God we serve!

I was thinking today about something Milton Vincent said at a men's conference my church hosted back in November. Specifically he was talking about forgiveness in a marital relationship that has been scarred by adultery. He referred to this kind of forgiveness as multi faceted. The sin of adultery can be forgiven but (the sin) can often manifest itself in another way and thus forgiveness is needed again in a different manner. Like a diamond has many facets so can forgiveness.

My struggles with Ty have shown me that sin can often times have many facets as well. As I struggle with the sin in Tyler's life the Holy Spirit is showing me that I have sin in my life that needs to be dealt with too. My sin is multi-faceted. Its ugly face shows up somewhere else in my life and in a different manner.

Today, I am thankful for a multi-faceted Savior. I am thankful that the facets of the forgiveness of Jesus are not finite like my sin but infinite and perfect. I pray that Ty and I will be able to grow in grace together in this strggle.

3 comments:

The Blainemonster said...

Hey, Rob - I've met with the same struggles as my 16 year old has "grown up" over the past few years. It's been one of the hardest things we've dealt with. It's hard to face up to the fact that our kids are sinners. I think one of the things that was helpful in our darkest times with our oldest boy was, as you said, remembering my OWN struggles with sin, and coming to my son from the angle of someone who's been there and caused myself some serious damage. All kids are different, but my boy seemed to really respond to my level-headed man-to-man(almost) matter-of-fact explanation of things. I.e., "You choose this route, you're going to ruin yourself. If you want to destroy all your hopes and dreams, go right ahead with the route you're taking. That's the easy way. Otherwise, be a man, rise above it, and (most of all) I'm here for you." Though he's been through some heavy stuff, my oldest has found an even keel and loves God more than ever. He's still a disaster at times (as all 16 year olds are! (: ) but the Lord has been gracious and merciful and taught us both quite a lot. Blessings my friend.

Anonymous said...

praying for you bro

you are reading the right stuff and you are keeping your eyes on your Savior...

don't forget lots of hugs and kindness, i know it's tough will all that attitude coming at you. :-)

Rob Peck said...

Guys I apprecaite your comments and your prayers! You are an encouragement to me!