Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Self Denial

I have been forced to think much lately about the importance of self denial. Last Sept. I was given a pamphlet by Desiring God on self denial written by Calvin. I was at a men's conference up here in the 'Dacks last November and was given a book called ''The Shadow of the Cross, Studies of Self-Denial'' by Walter J. Chantry. I was also spending time with a friend of mine recently who mentioned how important it is to be able to deny your-self for the sake of evangelism, taken from Paul's charge to young Timothy in 2 Tim 4:5. In preparation for teaching at Boys Brigade tomorrow night I was reading in Philippians 2:1-11-

So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

That my friends is self denial. God became man and was killed for the sins of men who deserve hell. I am glad that this account does not stop there but continues to the glorious King Jesus seated where he belongs, highly exalted with a name that is above all names! All of this done for God's glory! Father help me to deny myself and cling to my Savior that denied himself for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob, As I'm reading your blog I am hearing all sorts of things flying about in my head from the past, and probably alot of it is garbage. This phrase catches with me today as I went to ch's 1 & 2 to recall what Paul is writing for/about. "but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." It doesn't seem to make sense for Paul to write 'so if there is any encouragement in Christ'... but am I hearing correctly if I rephrase and hear him calling to those belonging to Christ...who HAVE encouragement in Christ through the Gospel... to, like Christ, humble ourselves and do so because our standing in Christ is secure...we have been bought and belong to Christ, so count others as more significant (not ignoring your own interests, but count the interests of others as more significantly) not knowing how the grace of God through you/me will be 'good news' to them and may indeed be the vehicle through which God works to bring others to Salvation.

Given that potential outcome, it makes eternal sense to count others more significant than myself.
Thanks for bringing my thoughts to this text.

Rob Peck said...

Tim, thanks for this comment. I have been reading and re-reading what you have written and have concluded that God is AWESOME. Thanks for shifting things around a little bit and shining a light on that scripture a little differently. God's word truly is eternal and a joy to explore!

TimW said...

Grin... Rob, I so appreciate your patience with my disjointed thoughts ;). I shared similar thoughts to a brother last night and I got this confused look that said 'comeon... give me that again,and this time in English!"

I really want God's word to sanctify me and especially in the area of humility.

It would be so good to have time to sit together and fellowship together in our Father's word.