Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why blog? Why Tweet?

I asked myself a couple of questions recently.
#1. Why do I enjoy reading blogs so much?
#2. Why is Twitter so fascinating?
#3. Why do I blog and why do I Tweet?

Most of the blogs I follow are Christian men that I have learned to respect because they point me to the cross, the same can be said for the folks I follow on Twitter. The answer therefore to questions 1 & 2 is that through these blogs and tweets I am forced to think about and dwell on topics and doctrines that make me grow and give me a desire to draw closer to my King through the study of his word.

My third question is a little more complicated because it tends to get all wrapped up in the fact that I have a sin nature. Why do I blog? Why do I tweet? Well, I guess that I want to share some of what my God has done and is doing for me and hopefully encourage those who read my blog (and tweets) to think about and dwell on topics and doctrines that will help them grow and have a desire to closer to their King through the study of his word. My spirit wants that. My flesh however tends to desire the praise of man.

I was reading in Matthew the other day the Sermon on the Mount. 6:1 says, ''Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.''

If written with the wrong motives I know that the praise of man is the only reward that I will receive. I want more then that! I want to honor my God and give Him the glory for the work he has done. I know that I need to be careful to write with the correct motives. I need to practice righteousness to and for my King, not for you, and not for me.

4 comments:

SandMan said...

Good reminder. I never really blogged until recently and it IS a temptation to want others to say that you wrote something worth reading. We have to remember with Paul that "by the grace of God I am what I am." Or, as one of my favorite songs goes, "Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise." Good stuff, Rob. Thanks.

Jodee McCabe said...

As an extrovert, I totally understand reading and writing blogs. But "tweeting" or "twittering"???

I have tried to understand that and just don't "get it".

I need complete sentences and whole lines of thought in order to share an idea or experience.

I enjoyed reading your blog and am glad I stumbled upon it. Jodee

L.J. said...

i like your blog! I am also Christian and your views are refreshing!
-lauren

Rob Peck said...

Jodee! Thanks for stopping by. I hope that you and Dan are well.

Lauren, thank you as well for droping in.