Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tozer

This quote is taken from ''The Pursuit of God''. He is speaking of men who seem to love God more then most, men who God uses mightily.

They were prophets, not scribes, for the scribe tells us what he has read, and the prophet tells what he has seen. The description is not an imaginary one. Between the scribe who has read and the prophet who has seen there is a difference as wide as the sea. We are overrun today by orthodox scribes, but the prophets, where are they? The hard voice of the scribe sounds over evangelicalism, but the Church waits for the tender voice of the saint who has penetrated the veil and has gazed with inward eye upon the wonder that is God.

I love to read. As I read I need to be careful that this knowledge that I am gaining is not empty but full of the wonder of God. I can share with you what I have read, but without conviction, my words are empty like that of the scribes. I pray that as I grow as a Christian I will see God as he is, not just read. I thank God for this gentle reminder this morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love Tozer! Thanks for the post.