Saturday, November 7, 2009

Scripture vs. Scripture

It has been very interesting for me as of late to watch those around me interpret, speak, and sometimes teach what they believe scripture has to say. There are so many folks from so many different backgrounds thinking and teaching so many different things. The problem here is that it does not matter what we think scripture says or feel what scripture says, what matters is what scripture is actually saying. There is after all only one truth. The easiest way for me to think about and relay this difficult situation is to talk about salvation and the different ways it is interpreted through scripture. For example, is it ''once saved always saved'' or ''perseverance of the saints''? Can we loose our salvation? Are we chosen for salvation or do we choose it on your own? On what do we base these decisions? Is this what we have always believed because this is what we have always been taught? Do we use just one scripture to show our position, or many different verses, or do we base our decision on these issues on the whole of scripture systematically?

We all bring ''baggage'' to the table with us when it comes to looking at scripture and trying to decipher what God is trying to tell us. We all have very different experiences that tend to tint how we view the truths of scripture. For example: Do you us feelings when reading scripture? Perhaps it is just what you have always believed or have been taught by your parents or schooling? I went to bible school and at the time I believed everything I was taught. A bible school could not be wrong. Could they? Maybe it is tradition, or a particular denomination that we unpack scripture with. Our goal when it comes to bible study should be to bring as few of these pieces of ''luggage'' with us as possible. We need to pray that God will enable us to read his word with a clear mind, that his Spirit will enable us to understand his Word. Remember, there is only one truth! I do believe we are, by Gods grace, able to see and know many truths in scripture. It is important though to interpret scripture with scripture and not with the ''baggage'' we carry. My point here is that we need to know Gods word. Know what it says, know what it means before we open our mouths! Be faithful to the teachings of scripture, not to what we feel, or have been taught. Make it your own and be able to back it up with truth.

6 comments:

The Blainemonster said...

You're so right. I know I've experienced the "baggage" you're talking about. I've definitely seen it in others. I guess that's why it's so important to correctly handle and "cut straight" the Word, like Paul tells Timothy.

Anonymous said...

I wondered as I read this blog, "how many times has an older brother in Christ with deeper, fuller understanding of God's word heard me open my big mouth and mess up the wonder of God's truth?"

How do I/we know what is baggage and what isn't. This morning our men's group discussed the chapter 'Born Again' in Sinclair Ferguson's book, The Christian Life.

At some point toward the end 'it' came up... the comment that needs to come up and be dealt with, as many times as necessary... "and we can't forget about free will..."

As much as I'd like to cross body block that idea full on, I hear this teaching wrapped so tightly around so many that I know God calls me to patience, gentleness and the realization that just as I wasn't taught of God's sovereignty in so many words... many others haven't either and rather, the baggage that I accumulated was much the same 'free will' stuff that sadly continues to be preached in my own church.

I have a place for free will... but because of my past belief system, I choose ;) to call it be a different name... more accurately to me is that I am called to respond to the grace of God in my life. God initiates, I respond... free will is of a category (for me) that considers God as nothing more than a presence in a warm fuzzy fairy tale I cherish.

So... to the scriptures we must go. And from the scriptures build, precept upon precept, grace upon grace, transformation from one degree of glory to another. How beyond me is God's redemptive plan!!

Rob... I love when a brother brings me to rejoice in my Lord through the Word and in the joy of fellowship! Thanks yet again, and Glory to God.
(sorry for being wordy... I'm putting off some needed work on my boiler ;)

Anonymous said...

whoa... just for clarity ;) (as I seem to get into trouble sometimes for not being clear) Rob, your comments have cut me to the quick... in that I have to wonder... how many times have I stumbled into a conversation with nothing to offer but past baggage rather than up to date understanding of God's word. (as I read back through my wordy response I wasn't sure I presented my thoughts well. sorry bro ;)

Rob Peck said...

Thanks for your comments brothers!
Blaine, I love the pastoral epistles!
Tim, I love that you "think out loud every now and again when you comment on my blog! Helps me further digest what I have written! How is that boiler going? Gotta keep that fam warm while you are up here playing/fellowshiping whith the bros here in the 'Dacks!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm... you mean I can't just leave 'em here with no heat? (grin)

Actually, the coal boiler is up and running... and it has the house warmer than we've ever kept it... I almost had to turn the A/C on last night it got so warm ;). Right now the 'engineer' in me is working on the fine tuning wrt the draft. I pulled everything the plumber had done on the exhaust piping and relocated and put a different barometric damper added a manometer and now I'm trying to maximize efficiency...
most importantly is the fact that I've got my boys managing the coal!
I'm just getting too old for some of that stuff. Hahaha.

THEOparadox said...

Rob,

Good word, bro.

It sometimes surprises me how many folks - even "scholars" - will say that there is a different message between the Old Testament and the New Testament, or between Jesus and Paul, or between James and Paul, or between John and Paul, etc., rather than looking at the big picture and letting Scripture interpret Scripture. The Bible makes wonderful sense when taken together and viewed in context and in light of the historical background. Hermeneutics is hard work, and always worth the effort. But, as Hebrews says, the Word is of no profit to us if we don't combine it with faith.

May God help us to be Biblical thinkers, and doers of the Word (as James - and Paul - and Jesus - and John - and the Old Testament prophets - and Solomon, and David - and Moses - and Peter - and Jude - etc. etc. would commend us!)

Blessings,
Derek