Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Technological Time Suck

I was talking to a friend of mine not to long ago who referred to his wife as a ''fun vacuum''. I will not mention any names here in the interest of protecting my friend from the almost certain scorn of his loving bride! Thou a funny statement that made me laugh it is only an intro to what I would like to talk about. The God vacuum is my topic for today. We all have in our lives to differing degrees at different times something or someone that is more important to us then our God. I want to talk about how and why these worldly things tend to ''suck'' God to the back burner of our lives. I know that for me this tends to be technology. My computer. Facebook. TV. I get so easily drawn into such meaningless things! The book of Ecclesiastes speaks much of this! Vanity, vanity all is vanity! This can also be translated to be Meaningless. There is so much worldly and meaningless stuff that we tent to chase after. Why? It is all for nothing! Oh, the flesh is strong and selfish! The only things worth doing here on this temporal earth are the things done for the eternal glory of it's Creator! Let us not sugarcoat this worldly vacuum and call it what it is, idolatry. Anything and everything we have in our lives that does not bring glory to God is meaningless. It is idolatry. I am not saying that because as Christians we are not allowed to have fun, I am saying that the focus of the fun we have should bring God glory. As of late I have been spending way to much time doing what I want and not nearly enough time doing what God wants.

Technology has become a God vacuum for me. I am making it a point to spend the time that I previously spent following meaningless pursuits following my Savior. Less time glorying me and more time glorifying my God who saved me! I would love it if you my faithful readers (all 2 of you) would help hold me accountable to this decision. I need to spend that time taking up my cross and following Him, for ''I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.'' Gal. 2:20. This is who I want to be. This is who God wants me to be. This is who I want you to help me be.

3 comments:

Lisa J. said...

Amen bro! (and you know you're going to take some heat for that anonymous fun vacuum thing!)

Anonymous said...

hey now... there's at least 3 of us! (grin)

Your statement, "As of late I have been spending way to much time doing what I want and not nearly enough time doing what God wants", caught my attention this morning. I have to ask myself, am I spending sufficient time with God, enjoying Him...such that my affections are changing and thus what God wants is becoming more and more what I want.
I love Gal 2:20, thanks for bringing it back fresh to my mind today!
( 'fun vacuum'... bro, you're going to need a wet-vac to get out of the deep water you're in! lol)

Rob Peck said...

Thanks for the comment Tim! It is true that our desires will be more and more about what God wants. I wish this self of mine would die quicker! The old man that is my flesh wants to rebel so badly! I praise God that He makes all things new!