Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Friend of sinners

And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.

The previous verses come from the book of Jude verses 22 and 23. It calls us as Christians to have mercy on those who do not know the Lord. It calls us to hate their sin but to love them. We have a horrible reputation of being hate mongers and judgmental. We are told again and again in scripture love others, love your neighbor, love those that persecute you, indeed scripture has much to say about love.

I find it easy to avoid those who are living in sin. I want to be surrounded by those who are like me. I have a hard time sometimes differentiating between the sin and the sinner. I don't think that I am alone here either! I think many of us struggle with this issue! Jesus surrounded himself with sinners! Who is it that we are trying to model our lives after? JESUS! He was a friend of tax collectors and whores, liars and thieves! What a difference we could make if we were only more like Jesus, the friend of sinners! I praise God that Jesus chose to befriend me...a sinner...saved by grace. Father give me the strength to be a friend of sinners, to love the unsaved, and give you my King glory.

No comments: