Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Growing In Grace

My son asked me the other day if I would read Milton Vincents ''The Gospel Primer'' with him again! It was a blessing the first time and I expect the same this time too! Ps. 127:3 says ''Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. '' Ty is such a blessing. His heart is so tender. His prayers so sweet. Our children are a heritage from the Lord. What values are we impressing on them? When Ty was a bit younger he wanted to be just like his daddy. I think that he still does only now its mannerisms that he is picking up on. To me they tend to be a little exaggerated. I often hear or watch Ty do something and think to myself ''where in the world did he get that from?!'' Only to realize later on that that ''who in the world'' is yours truly! Children do make great accountability partners! Proverbs 22:6 says, ''Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.'' I often get very convicted when I read scriptures such as these. I sometimes tell myself that I am doing the best that I can to train up my child. Often that is not true. I tend to get in the way. As I write this my shortcomings as a father are glaring at me. There us so much I can do better. Father help to to train up Ty in the way he should go. Help me to be the father that I need to be. I pray that my shortcomings with not be his.

Many of you reading this are parents too. I am praying that this little post will encourage you to be strong and courageous for your children. Train them up so that they will go and spread the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ. May they be as arrows in the hand of a warrior. (Ps. 127:4)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool brother! It is especially wonderful that Ty is identifying and pursuing that which is most obviously close to your heart...God! Praise God for his infinite grace and mercy in this. I have been focusing on taking a more intentional and careful role in family discipleship. I have just started reading Voddie Baucham Jr's "What He Must Be... if he wants to marry my daughter". It's covers much about what we dad's need to be involved in to guide and direct our daughters..and our sons..to be godly men and women ready to enter into marriage and family in such a way that we pass on a godly legacy.
Good straightforward stuff to be reminded and refreshed with.
Thanks for this encouraging post Rob!

Rob Peck said...

Thanks for you comment Bro. I will be keeping my eye out for the book you mentioned!