Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Epic Fail

''Epic fail'' has become a trendy term for failure. There are web pages and TV programs dedicated to the failure of others. These pictures and shows are designed to be humerus (for the most part) at the expense of the one failing.

I would like to take a moment to point out that there is a book (the Bible) that does this as well though not in a humerus way. It points out that we as humans are an epic failure. The failures are different for the saved then they are for the lost but failures none the less.

I had one of those epic fail moments today while reading Phillipians 2:14. It says,
"Do all things without grumbling or questioning.''

Strong medicine eh? There are things in my life that almost require me to grumble! Oh wait...this text says all things are to be done without grumbling. Hard words for me to listen to today! I want to grumble! I want to complain! I want to question!

Thank God for this book that is living and active! Thank God that I am being changed by his Word. Yes, I continue to be an epic failure. I will continue to fail (sin) until glory. I look forward to that. No more sin. No more problems with self, or pride, or lust, or grumbling, or questioning, or..........

3 comments:

The Blainemonster said...

I find that the areas of my life that get tested are directly related to the sermons I preach. If I preach about anger, I have to deal with it that week. If I preach about husbands loving their wives, I argue with my wife. :) Epic failure - but thankfully, it's not always that way - God is good and gracious.

Rob Peck said...

We are a work in progress my brother! Thanks for your comment!

THEOparadox said...

Rob,

I'm amazed at some of the "impossible" commands I encounter when I read Philippians. Do NOTHING from selfishness . . . ALL THINGS by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving . . . let your gentleness be evident TO ALL . . . and there are others. Sometimes I think I'm an epic fail on these commands. But then I realize that I've grown in each one, by God's grace. And as God does what He promises, we will eventually become characterized by these things, then in our glorification we'll walk in them flawlessly. Hard to imagine from where I sit.

Thanks for the encouraging post.

Blessings,
Derek