Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Be-attitudes

The beatitudes. Talk about conviction! A friend of mine recommended that I use Lloyd Jones' commentary as we together wade through the Sermon on the mount. Our latest study spoke of the meek. Matthew 5:5 says, Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Meek, a short little word with a very complicated definition. Part of that definition is, ''an emptying of self''. A realization that life is not about me. It's about God. There are many great examples of this in scripture and one in particular I would like to bring to your attention. Our Lord Jesus is spoken of by Paul in his book to Philippi as humbling himself, making himself nothing in order to glorify God.

Phillipians 2:4-8
Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

There is a lot of nourishment to be had from this short section of scripture! What an example we have here of what it means be meek! The creator of everything became nothing (human)! Talk about denying yourself! I have a hard time giving up the nothing that I am! Because of his awesome example God highly exalted his son. We are also promised a reward for being he meek, we shall inherit the earth! Thankfully, it is not this sin tarnished earth that will be ours but a new earth. I can not even begin to imagine what that will be like.


This short study on the word meek has humbled me, broken me, caused me to examine myself and see that I am a wretch. I am not worthy of His great love. I deserve nothing, but, because of His great love I have been redeemed! There is little pride in that statement, wonder, worship, and praise yes, but pride? I have nothing to be proud of. The glory belongs to God alone.

No comments: