Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Spurgeon

I have decided to read 1 Spergeon sermon a day. That is my goal anyway. If those of you that know me would hold me to this I would dearly appreciate it! That being said I would like to share with you a bit of this mornings reading.

''Oh, there is, in contemplating Christ, a balm for every wound; in musing on the Father, there is a quietus for every grief; and in the influence of the Holy Ghost, there is a balsam for every sore. Would you lose your sorrows? Would you drown you cares? Then go, plunge yourself in the Godhead's deepest sea, be lost in his immensity; and you shall come forth as from a couch of rest, refreshed and invigorated. I know nothing which can so comfort the soul; so calm the swelling billows of grief and sorrow; so speak peace to the winds of trial. as a devout musing upon the subject of the Godhead.''

Amen and amen!

Later in the same sermon Spurgeon states:

[You] ''SHALL BE DAMNED. O terrific thought! How dare I utter it? But I must. Ye must be warned, sirs, lest ye also come into this place of torment. Ye must be told rough things; for if Gods gospel in not a rough thing & the law is a rough thing; Mount Sinai is a rough thing. Woe unto the watchman that warns not the ungodly! God is unchanging in his threatenings. Beware, O sinner, for it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.''

No comments: