Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Philosophy

I have been doing some studying recently that involves philosophy. Philosophy is defined as: The rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct. At first I was intrigued by the study. I felt intellectual because I was learning about philosophy. This is what smart people talk about! I was thinking to myself about how useful this knowledge could be to win others to Christ! As I continued to turn this information over in my mind during the past couple of weeks I started to notice that philosophy does not seem to rely very heavily (or at all) on scripture. It is after all a "rational investigation of truth". Gods word is foolishness to the world so there is no need to include the Bible in philosophical discussions. John Piper once said that "science without God is heresy". I would say that philosophy without God is the same. Truth. What is truth? Truth, is the word of God. The Bible, Gods word is truth (tough for some to grasp in this wonderful post-modern world of ours!). You can talk philosophy with me all you want, you may even have some very persuasive arguments, but I will not sway (by Gods grace) from the truth found only in Gods eternal word. The word of God does not change (Mal 3:6). What was true about God when it was written is still true today and will still be true 1000 years from now and forever! Furthermore, the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is what saves people not philosophy, or even apologetics for that matter! The Gospel is the power of God for salvation (Rom 1:16). If truth is what you are looking for then look to Bible, not just a section or a verse but the whole thing. It is so easy to look to the world for wisdom. It is often done by Christians and they don't even realize it! God is the founder of truth, wisdom, and knowledge, seek Him.

Matt 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

preach it brother ;) I hope you don't mind, but this one's going up on my blog. Thanks for the refreshing observations of why you go to God's word. My outside observation is that I see God mightily at work in you because you do revere His word. Keep running hard Rob.

THEOparadox said...

Rob,

Bingo! I appreciate what you're saying here. I'd say some of the pieces of Calvinism I wrestle with are an attempt to fit Scripture into a philosophical mold, rather than expanding the rationality until it can encompass the full range of TRUTH as revealed in God's Word. Man's philosophy does not contain sufficient categories to comprehend God's self-revelation. Ultimately, we have to choose - it's either Scripture or our human understanding. But eye has not seen, ear has not heard, and no man has conceived the marvelous things God has prepared for those who love Him. Yet God has revealed them to us by His Spirit (not by our thoughts, but by HIS SPIRIT). I can "sense" God's grace at work in you, brother! Keep pursuing Him.

Grace & peace,
Derek

Rob Peck said...

Thanks for the encouragement my friends!