Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Covenant or dispensation that is the question

Most of my life I was taught a little about how wrong Covenant theology is and a lot about how right Dispensationalism is. Truth be told for most of my life I really didn't care much about either of these views anyway.
I have found as of late that the more I look into and grasp Reformed Theology the more I am questioning some of the views I hold (held) on to and why exactly am I holding onto them anyway. I have been reading lots of books talking to lots of folks and measuring it all through scripture in a systematic way and seeing things quite differently now then I did back then. I may have different leanings now then I did back then but I don't think I'm ready yet to put all of my eggs in one basket. John Macarthur refers to himself as a ''leakey Dispensaionalist''. Piper tends to lean more towards Covenant. Who is right? Once again I do not believe that this is an issue to die for. We have the gospel. I pray that the gospel gets bigger and bigger for me every day. That is what matters. If you so desire I would love to hear where you dear reader stand on the issue and why. Please feel free to share!

Next we can get into Eschatology! Just kidding! My head already hurts!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

talk about a hurting head, I watched 4 men around a table discussing 'an evening of Eschatology' the other night'. I learned a bit about the three views proposed, but I learned more, personally, how to think, stand and listen for truth without animosity or angst. Pretty cool discussion.
On the covenant v dispensational discussion... I'm not ready yet, but God has been showing me alot in His word that I never saw and that will no doubt impact the dispensational background I come from.
I look forward to any postings and our own conversation on the subject.
teach me "robman" ;)

Rob Peck said...

Hey Brother,
I too came from a strong dispensational background. Methodist church and Word of Life. I have watched some of that same discussion and feel the same as you. I don't think that these are issues to fight over. They have become to me issues to help me grow. Sort of an eye opening I suppose. I too look forward to conversation bro!

The Blainemonster said...

Like you, I find I'm undergoing a change as I become more and more reformed. I like JMac's description of being a "leaky dispensationalist." I think that's me! And of course, above all the discussion, we have the Gospel. Like you said, may it just get bigger and bigger.

Anonymous said...

Hey Blaine... What are you doing November 13-14? There's a gathering of men that will take place in Speculator NY as part of the Adirondack Bible Chapel's men's retreat. If you like hooking up with some pretty cool brothers in Christ and sorta get connected in fellowship around this here country of ours... well, I'm just saying... ;) it would be great to have you. You, me and Rob could enjoy a few cups of coffee together! http://www.adirondackbible.org
...this much I guarantee you, you'll be back up here in warmer weather with that bike of yours ;)

Rob Peck said...

Thank you Blaine for your comment. It is exciting to watch God work in my own life and the lives of others through this issue!

I agree with Tim! A cup of java and fellowship at the ABC mens conference would be great!