Monday, August 3, 2009

Jesus who?

Ah the post-modern world we live in today! Not only can my truth be different from yours but my Jesus can be different too? If you don't like this or that about Jesus you can just change him to fit your desires. This ''new'' Jesus is no longer the historical Jesus of the bible and therefore he is not Jesus at all. You may call him Jesus and rely on him to save you but in reality this ''new'' Jesus has no more power to save you then this screen you are looking at. God cannot change! Jesus cannot change. Gods word can not change! It is amazing to me how folks can just pick and choose what they want to believe is or is not true in Gods word. I like this part here but this part over here does not fit me to well so I will just push that back or pretend its not there or means something other then what it says. Gods word does not change just like God does not change. If you change it to fit your wants it is not the bible anymore it is something less, something worse. Beware. Changing scripture to say or mean what you want it to is dangerous business, as is changing Jesus! The Word of God is absolute truth. Just because you may ''change'' what you think Gods word is saying does not mean that you are changing Gods word. It means you are walking on thin ice! Some might even call it heresy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob! I am enjoying your blog! Great stuff indeed! - Michelle VH

Anonymous said...

In view of your comments here, I am left thinking, is it the one who is clearly opposed to my view of Jesus... the 2nd in the Trinity? Or should I be watchful of the one who would routinely walk past the Christ-centeredness of the Gospel as ordained by God the Father himself?

Rob Peck said...

Tim, Thanks for your comment. You always seem to take me to a deeper level then I mean to go. You are definately one who thinks things through better then I. This is something my mind does not do very well! I guess I should have clarified a little better. In order to stay on ground that is not so shakey I would have to say I am speaking of the Jesus of the gospel. The Jesus who died for my sins and yours. The Jesus that sits at the right hand of God the Father and yes, the second person of the trinity. There is a lot of meat in that simple statement and that is the historical Jesus. Thank you for making me think about this at a different level!

Michelle! Thanks for reading! I had no idea!

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. Rob, you should know by now that 87.7% of the questions I ask are rhetorical and often directed at the environment I find myself living in... not so much are they directed to you as though you haven't already given a solid proclamation of the Word. That is one of many reasons that I am refreshed by your blog. So.. keep it up!
I have been listening to some 2005 Pastors Conf. messages by Bruce Ware on the Trinity. Good thus far! AND, betwixt your thoughts and his, I project my questions into the blogosphere and wonder... is the church seeing Jesus Christ as He is? ...second in the Trinity, fully God is essence and fully the Son in role and relationship with the Father and the Spirit. Is this the Jesus I worship? Is this the Jesus the church is being led to worship in August 2009? These are the issues on my plate to pray about and to faithfully pursue.
Pray with me that the Father's will be done... that Jesus Christ be lifted up to the Father's glory and by the empowering revealing work of the Spirit in the sanctifying redemption of the Church through the blood of Calvary...so that all may see and know - the angels and the world - that Jesus Christ is LORD!

P.S. my thinking tends to get me into more trouble than may be worthwhile ;) (I tend to think from the context of my church situation... don't let me distract you.) AND keep proclaiming that beautiful, historical Jesus! the One whose blood covers our sin.
Glory, glory, glory!

Rob Peck said...

Thanks for your words brother! Indeed I will be praying!