Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Very Word of God

Scripture. Breathed out by God so that we, men and women of God my be competent and equipped to do every good work. (2 Tim. 3:16.)

Scripture. Living, active, convicting, life altering, sharp, pointing, discerning. (Heb.4:12)

Scripture is God's very word to a world that is lost. It is the history of God reaching out to his people. It is the gospel, the good news that Jesus the God/man, lived, died, rose again to conquer sin and death!

Yet, we have a tendency to soften what it says. 1 Pet. 1:15b that we are to be holy in all of our conduct. I tend to think sometimes that I am OK in the area of holiness, especially when I use the world as a lens to interpret this scripture. When faced with a holy God who hates sin, my mind quickly turns to the wretch that I am!

How about Romans 13:14, "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires". I don't know about you but sometimes I like to change that ''no provision" to ''a little provision is OK''. I know that is not what scripture says, I'm born again, how bad can a little provision be anyway!?

I have been singing to myself "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". I love that song just a little more then I hate it. "Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love". That's me. Scripture comands me to be holy, to make no provision for the flesh. Fail, flee, hide.

Hebrews 2:1, "Therefore we must pay closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it."

We (I) need to pay closer attention to what scripture says and not so much to what the world says we (I) may or may not need.

2 comments:

The Blainemonster said...

Come Thou Fount! Moves me every time I hear it or sing it. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Rob, the reality of what you're sharing is spot on... how incredibly wonderful is it that just as real is that our salvation/sanctification is All of Grace! I love that phrase... it reminds me of Who began His work in me and causes me to turn from my proneness to wander and back to worship of the Holy One.
Thanks for this brother!